Archive for June, 2013

Amazon Partner Network

June 10, 2013

Elasticera is now live on the Amazon AWS Partner Network (APN). Click here for the Elasticera AWS Partner page

John Lewis tech apprenticeship scheme

June 10, 2013

In May, John Lewis announced that it was launching a tech apprenticeship scheme. ComputerWeekly quotes Paul Coby (IT Director) as saying “We’re seeing a real skills gap in young people where IT and technology are concerned”. John Lewis will train five apprentices in Java over an 18 month period.

In my opinion the shortage of skilled IT graduates, and I don’t mean the ability to use Word, Excel and Powerpoint, is a failing of the UK education system. It is not helped by the fact that so few women enter the IT industry in the UK. The problem starts before GCSEs and needs addressing urgently as the shortage of IT talent is hindering the growth of UK businesses.

The demand for IT talent in London in particular will only get worse as IT giants such as Facebook, Amazon, etc., all setup offices in London. This will likely result in IT salaries rising.

I started TechHuddle to help UK companies access lower cost IT talent in Eastern Europe. Our customers are from a range of sectors including, digital agencies, ecommerce, systems integrators, elearning, gaming, etc.

IE ignores cookies with domain containing underscores

June 1, 2013

We made a config change recently to a pre-production system.

We made the change because users of the staging environment were getting an SSL certificate warning with a wildcard certificate.

To prevent the warning from appearing we changed

dev.stage.blahblah.com

to

adm_stage.blahblah.com

All seemed fine although the pre-production system was barely being used. A week or so later some IE (Internet Explorer) users started reporting problems.

We spent hours trying to get to the bottom of the problem. It turns out that IE ignores/drops cookies for domains with underscores in them.
We had come to this conclusion but we found the solution here.

Simply changing

adm_stage.blahblah.com

to

adm-stage.blahblah.com

corrected the issue.